Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Finish and Happy July!

May and June just flew by at our house!
Quiltey happenings include:
The Metro Rings whimsy was finished, and judging by the look on the Bride-To-Be's face, approved!
This quilt finishes out at 57" x 76".  Just the right cuddle size for them.  I'm currently quilting this on my Janome at home and will share pictures when it's finished.
Which wasn't by the wedding and probably won't be by the time the newly weds return from the honeymoon!
And I'm okay with that.
June also saw me puzzling over this package:
that was found when Jon and Rebecca moved furniture from our sunroom into the apartment they have rented here close by.
I opened the bag and found orphaned blocks and a pattern.
Back in January of 2011 (yes, that is 2011!), it was my turn to have blocks made for me from the ladies of the Indianapolis Modern Quilt Guild for our member bee.
I chose a Criss Cross block using oranges and aquas.  I asked each member to make two blocks and the ones in the bag were the ones that came back wonky, over-or-undersized or just not quite right.
Here are some shots of the first quilt finished using the "good" blocks I was sent back.  When you join a bee, you always hope all the blocks come back perfect...but the reality is that every quilter has different skill levels...and that's okay!  Some of my blocks were sent back because that member didn't want to mess us the points or didn't have time to do both...or even one...block.
It's definitely a learning curve for everyone!
This one ended up as a Quilts for Comfort quilt for a chemo patient at the cancer center where my mom has her treatments.  Out of the dozen or so that came back "good", I paired the pattern down to just nine blocks for a respectably sized lap quilt.
I sashed the blocks using scrappy blues and a vintage sheet for the binding.
The other blocks and the pattern got stuffed into the Ziploc baggie and stashed in the sunroom with other quilt stuff.
During one of my "breaks" from the Metro Rings quilt (lest I end up hating it!), I carefully unpicked seams, trimmed, resized and sewed the blocks in the bag back together and made a few more myself to complete another whimsy for me to keep and use here at home.
This time I sashed the blocks using setting squares and sashing from a super soft vintage sheet in blues.
My two handsome assistants helped me take a picture in the backyard.  I might try to add another, wider sashing to this to beef up the size.  I ended up making four blocks out of some of the returned fabric and supplementing with new scraps to get these nine blocks. 
This weekend saw one of my finest "finishes" ever...but it's really just a beginning!
Linking up with